If you have been injured in an accident while riding a motorcycle, you need an experienced personal injury attorney who understands that motorcycle accident cases are different from car accidents and require special care and attention.
At Chiumento Selis Dwyer P.L., our attorneys have been standing up for motorcycle accident victim’s rights in Florida for more than four decades and are ready to represent you.
Why Hire a Florida Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
You may wonder how a lawyer can help you with your motorcycle accident claim. While some very simple claims may not require help from an attorney, most motorcycle accident victims benefit greatly from working with a lawyer.
In fact, studies have repeatedly shown that motorcycle accident victims end up with significantly more money when they work with a lawyer instead of going it alone.
But it’s more than just dollars and cents. When you hire a lawyer, you no longer have to deal with the insurance adjusters and others involved in the case. Your lawyer takes care of that for you.
Your attorney can ensure that all deadlines are met and all filings and forms are properly completed. Your attorney can fully calculate and document the extent of your losses, and then negotiate for an appropriate settlement.
If a settlement is impossible, your attorney will be prepared to pursue your claim in court.
Meanwhile, you can relax and focus on recovering from the crash, knowing that your best interests are in good hands. You don’t even have to worry about paying attorney’s fees upfront. In fact, if you don’t win, we don’t charge for our services.
How Our Florida Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
- We can start by investigating the facts of your case to determine who was really at fault for the motorcycle accident.
- Our lawyers frequently work with investigators and accident reconstruction experts to determine the true cause of serious motorcycle crashes.
- We also consult with medical and vocational experts to determine the total extent of your injuries and how they will affect the rest of your life.
- Our attorneys seek out every potential source of insurance in order to maximize the amount of compensation our clients recover.
- We will keep you updated about your case’s progress each step of the way.
- Our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys will give you the advice you need to make informed decisions about settlement offers and other important matters.
Compensation Available for Motorcycle Accident Victims in Florida
Although Florida is a no-fault insurance state, where your own personal injury protection (PIP) covers 80% of your medical bills and 60% of your lost wages if you are in a vehicle accident, PIP coverage does not apply to motorcycle accidents.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident due to another’s negligence, you may be able to pursue a claim against that party for the economic and non-economic damages you suffered as a result of the accident.
However, the amount you are able to recover will depend on whether the other party has insurance coverage, and whether the limits of their coverage will cover your bills. With that risk in mind, it is smart to consider carrying uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage in order to provide coverage or make up the difference if you are in an accident.
You may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost future earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of familial relationship
- Other losses
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Florida
Because of the likelihood of direct contact with another vehicle or object, motorcycle accident injuries tend to be more serious than car accident injuries — and are often fatal. The most serious injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident are head and spinal cord injuries, which could leave you permanently disabled or paralyzed.
Common personal injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Facial Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Head Injuries
- Neck Injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (paralysis)
- Internal injuries
The injuries caused by a crash often go beyond just physical ones. Many motorcycle accident victims also experience severe pain and ongoing emotional trauma. You may be able to recover compensation for these injuries as well.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Palm Coast and Florida
A commonly held misconception is that motorcycles are dangerous because motorcyclists engage in risky driving behaviors, but the truth is that motorcycle accidents are the fault of another vehicle more often than not.
Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- A vehicle making a left turn in front of a motorcycle going straight
- Failure of another vehicle to yield to the right of way
- Failure to “see” the motorcycle
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Reckless driving
- Failure to obey traffic signals